Pages

Sunday 8 April 2018

Sunday Stamps II - A-Z: 'H' USA painters

I've got artistic this week with two American painters whom I must confess I only know from these stamps.

First, a realist painter in the Celebrate the Century (1920s) series.

The Automat by Edward Hopper (1881-1967)
I don't really understand what this painting depicts - but here's what it says on the back of the stamp.


The work of landscape painter Winslow Homer (1836-1910) is more in my line.

Breezing up (a fair wind)
The painting produced in 1873-1876 is in the US National Gallery of Art.


Now I suggest that you breeze over to see what else crosses your bows at Sunday-stamps-h.

10 comments:

Joy said...

A contrast of painters. Winslow Homer spent a couple of years in the north east at Cullercoats I wonder if any of his paintings stayed in the area.

Mail Adventures said...

Hopper is one of my favourite painters, but I hadn't seen the second stamp. I like paintings on stamps, and I always think it must be difficult to choose which ones to reproduce...

Jo said...

Yeah, I agree Bob. I really like the second one and the painting is very much in my line having lived with boats of one kind or another most of my life.

viridian said...

Great stamps! I like both Hopper and Homer. I am also doing the A to Z challenge this year. I will visit some of your entries.

Viridian

L. D. said...

I get to see the Hopper painting every time we hit the Art Center in Des Moines. My wife says she was a little girl when she first saw that and it inspired her to become an artist.

FinnBadger said...

I love Hopper's work. I'm unfamiliar with the second stamp and artist.

Donna B. McNicol said...

The first one looks like a woman sitting in the coffee shop/cafe of her generation, alone and thinking.

But I truly love the second one. I might have to look for a reproduction of that painting for my guest room. Born & raised on the coast of southern Massachusetts, the old fishermen are close to my heart.

Donna B. McNicol|Author and Traveler
A to Z Flash Fiction Stories|A to Z of Goldendoodles

violet s said...

I always feel like I'm missing something in a Hopper painting, especially as so many people love his work.

Ana said...

All stamps are lovely, but my favourite is the first one - I just like the subject of alienation and introspection in general.

agi said...

I believe I even have the first painting on a postcard...i am always happy to learn of new important painters, like Homer in this case