Pages

Sunday 19 June 2016

Cartoon Characters - Sunday Stamps II

Not quite on theme, but cartoons nevertheless. The Greetings (9th series) of Booklet Stamps were available between 26 February 27 and November 11th 1996.

There were 10 stamps in the series of which I can show you eight. Unfortunately they were heavily franked at  Mount Pleasant Post Office and this has obscured both the cartoon and its message as you will see.

Great Britain
The messages say ' MORE! LOVE!' and 'My day starts before I am ready for it.' Both cartoons are by Mel Calman.


The message on the first stamp reads, 'Dear lottery prize winner.' (by Larry); the middle cartoon is by Mel Calman and the dog by Charles Barsotti.


 The message on the middle stamp (cartoonist - Mel Calman) is, 'THE CHEQUE IS IN THE POST.' 'Sincerely.' is by Charles Barsotti. The bottom cartoon is also one of Mel Calman's.

Can you guess which one I like best?

For more cartoons search out the links at Sunday-Stamps-II-79.

8 comments:

Joy said...

All these would raise a smile if they came through ones letterbox.

Mail Adventures said...

Wow, these are great!

FinnBadger said...

Is it 'My day starts before I'm ready for it'? Or maybe I'm just channelling my own mornings!

VioletSky said...

Oh thank you, thank you, for a good, hearty laugh with these choices!!
(my holiday didn't go as well as planned and came home to work related problems...)

viridian said...

Fun! I haven't seen any of these.

Jo said...

Knowing how fond you are of dogs, I would think the dog cartoon. I think that would be my favourite. Pity the franking is so very dark and aggressive on most of those.

Heleen said...

Wonderful stamps, I love them!

Which one you would like best.. Maybe the dog, or the letter writing man?

Bob Scotney said...

I don't write letters anymore. It could only be the dog!