Pages

Sunday 11 October 2015

Flowers - Sunday Stamps II

When I was given an old stock album recently a number of flower stamps were included.

The Mississippi state flower is the Magnolia shown on this stamp from 1967.


USA

Camellia (and yellow-shafted flicker)
Alabama became the 22nd State of the Union on 14 December 1819. This stamp commemorated its 150th anniversary and was issued on 2 August 1969.

Two of the set of four stamps issued to commemorate the XI Botanical Congress of 1969, when the first full meeting of 6000 botanists was held in the USA, contained flowers.

USA - Lady slipper and Franklinia alatamaha
The lady slipper is the state flower of Minnesota; the Franklinia is a tree in the tea plant family, which looks rather like a wild rose that grows in the UK hedgerows.

For other flowery offerings check out the links at Sunday-Stamps-II-43.


6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob - stamps are always such great adverts for the country's memorable items ... love these flowers. cheers Hilary

Joy said...

Lucky you being given a stock album I wonder what other treasures you will find. I like that the Mississippi stamps come complete with Mr Zip Code. The congress stamps are beautifully designed.

FinnBadger said...

Great finds. The Botanical Congress stamps are particularly good.

Mail Adventures said...

I like these old stamps. I wonder how the "state flower" is (was) chosen.

Jo said...

I love magnolias in particular. Friends gave me a tree for my birthday one year. I was so sorry to leave it behind when we came back to Canada. It was way too big to move by then. Camellias are lovely too. These stamps of yours are delightful

VioletSky said...

I like the style of the Botanical Congress stamps showing the flowers and where they grow.
The 'use zip code man' is cute.