Pages

Tuesday 14 October 2014

Patterns - Thematic Photography

On wet and windy days like today I tend to walk along looking down and wonder what patterns will emerge from the rain.

According to one English philosopher and mathematician, "Art is the imposing of a pattern on experience, and our aesthetic enjoyment is recognition of the pattern." (Alfred North Whitehead).

Here's what I came across without lifting my head.

Triangle
Squares and oblongs
Circle plus ....
If our mathematician friend could derive a formula for these, perhaps it would drive him mad finding one for this.

Crazy paving
And here it's difficult to see the wood for the trees.



It's patently obvious to me what it as it is visible to me as I use the keyboard to compose this post.

To see other patterns this week check out those behind the links at Carmi's Thematic-Photographic-312.

6 comments:

21 Wits said...

How cool is that, without even lifting your head. Great captures! I have to get mine in too! Just saw you and Gilly posted.

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

Those are very nice, Bob. Mine seem pretty random, now. (But there is a pattern in my head!)
~

DougPhoto2009 said...

Bob, good application of the theme. Thanks for sharing.

Gilly said...

You can see some interesting drain covers if you keep your head down! Grate idea (no pun intended ;)

Don't know what the last one is, but the design would make nice curtain material!!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

Too many people walk around looking down at their phones, but here you are taking photos. :)
I'm guessing that the last picture is one of upholstery.

Catherine said...

I'm guessing the last one is textured glass.
I've seen some truly beautiful drain covers with engraved ferns and other lovely patterns. It's great when someone takes the trouble to beautify a very ordinary object.