Pages

Sunday 18 May 2014

United Nations - Sunday Stamps

I acquired an envelope from the flea market a little while ago. I knew that it would be just right for a week where we have a free choice theme.


United Nations - franked envelope
Of course the stamps are on the other side.

United Nations
Taking a close look at the stamps - 


The central stamp contains the opening of the Preamble to the United Nations Charter written originally by the South African statesman, Jan Smuts. Smuts had also been, in 1931, the second non-British Lord Rector of St Andrews University (my old university). He was the only man to have signed the charters of the League of Nations and the UN.


The words on the 1c stamp are also part of the Preamble to the Charter of the UN.

The envelope was posted on June 18, 1971 to an address in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Cuyahoga Falls is the second largest in Ohio's Summit County where apparently they had bad flooding at the beginning of this week.

If you look at the franking on the envelope you might be able to make out that the date stamp in the middle was at Cuyahoga Falls on 21 June, 1971.

If you cross over to Viridian's Sunday-stamps-171. you can check out what others have shown this week.

14 comments:

Mail Adventures said...

Really different and worth sharing, thanks!

21 Wits said...

Very nice Bob. I especially enjoyed your presentation of it!

Heleen said...

Wonderful stamps!

I never knew that the United Nations had their own stamps. Thank you for sharing!

viridian said...

I am wondering if the denomination is in USA currency?
Interesting, as I too did not know the UN issued its own stamps.

agi said...

just getting a UN cover is special enough, and then there is diversity of stamps, and cancellations...of course you were right to think of sharing it with us when you got it :)

Ana said...

It has always fascinated me that the United Nations have their own stamps and am always keen on seeing different ones on cards and envelopes!

VioletSky said...

They really wanted to make sure you knew it had been verified didn't they?!
That's a fair bit of postage, but I guess that's because it was registered?

luvlinens said...

I love all the UN stamps. I have been collecting UN covers and have quite a few now.

Postcardy said...

I am wondering what "verified" means there. Does it mean they opened the envelope and sealed it up again with tape?

Jo said...

I didn't know they had their own stamps either. Interesting.

♥ Willa @ Postage Journal♥ said...

I love going to Flea market bec there's always a treasure like this waiting to be found.

Willa @ Postage Journal

Joy said...

I knew the three UN offices issue their own stamps but I didn't know they had their own cancel as well. Super cover and such history.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

You do find some treasures at your flea market!

faizalnizam said...

I used to collect stamp when I was a kid. But I am not really knowledgeable about all those stamp things. I just collected it for the purpose of collecting. So I look forward to learn more about stamp from your blog and I started to think than I should be collecting again.