Pages

Thursday 27 February 2014

In the Hall of the Mountain King - Sepia Saturday

When I saw our prompt for this week I knew where I was going.


But just to show willing I found some men on a mountain top.

Major Charles S Cotter of 1st Ohio Light Artillery Regiment at Point Lookout, Tennessee (Library of Congress)
Major Cotter has the telescope; the other seven officers and men are unidentified.

I doubt that they would have been able to see our three composers across there in Norway even if the time period had been the same. They definitely wouldn't have known where the Norwegian Mount Løvstakken was located.

Bergen and Mount Løvstakken
Bergen would not have looked like that through the telescope wielded by our composers and the 1500 seater concert hall would not have existed. I wonder what Grieg the man on the right in our prompt would have made of it.

Grieg Hall
(By Nina Aldin Thune - CC BY-SA 2,5)
I spent quite a time in Bergen when I worked in Norway at the end of the 1970s and the 1980s so recognised Løvstakken  immediately; it is one of the seven mountains which surround the city. I've even a photo or two.



I just wonder where our composers sat.

And Bergen would not be complete without a shot of Grieg himself.

Statue of Edvard Grieg, Bergen
You may recognise his hair style if you compare the statue with the man on the right of our prompt.

I don't think you would split hairs or pick a bone with me over that,

Sam might, now that he is exploring that great bone yard in the sky.

Just make sure you are looking through the right end of your telescope when you visit Sepia-Saturday-217.

In The Hall of The Mountain King
Composed by Edvard Grieg of Ibsen's play Peer Gynt

21 comments:

La Nightingail said...

I'd forgotten what Grieg's Peer Gynt sounded like. Thanks for the video to remind. Lovstakken is quite a mountain, but Norway is full of spectacular mountains & fjords which I someday hope to see in person. For the time being I've been studying them online for a story I've begun writing about the Vikings.

Little Nell said...

I thought you’d go there! Love that picture of Sam and his telescope.

Jofeath said...

Perfect prompt related photos, and I'm sure Greig would have been impressed by the concert hall named in his honour, although he might not have been quite so happy with his sculpture.

Jackie van Bergen said...

Great post - had to chuckle - my married surname is (van) Bergen, my husband's brother is Edvard and his son is Greg!

Marc Latham said...

Nice photos and proverb.

Wendy said...

I was surprised to see your picture of Lookout Mountain in Tennessee. My grandaunt's scrapbook has some pictures of her college friends on a trip there, and that was going to be my focus for this week but I went another direction.

21 Wits said...

Oh my goodness, that proverb and your doggie photo, scope and all, just precious. A very interesting post leading out from an amazing beginning photo. Very wonderful piece it is, and so closely matched to our photo this week.

Postcardy said...

Good dog. He looks well trained.

Kristin said...

The statue looks very much like the real thing. Too bad they didn't put a hat on him.

Joy said...

No I wouldn't have known where it was located either. That looks the perfect walk out and up from the town, sensibly our trio have waited until summer.

Unknown said...

Well you found a telescope..Thanks for the information and updating on the scenes today..the proverb and dog are extra specially adorable.

Rosie said...

Lovely scenery, enjoyed the video too!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I always loved "In The Hall of The Mountain King".

Brett Payne said...

When I hear the name Bergen, I immediately think of the brand of rucksack so favoured by hikers in the 1950s and before. When I was in my early teens I used my mother's aged Bergen, but not those heavy canvas, metal framed devices look antediluvian.

Mike Brubaker said...

Thanks for showing us the Bergen landscape, Bob. Grieg's music was my first exposure to music of a famous composer. As a toddler I used to march around our coffee table to a 45 record of The Hall of The Mountain King. Doing some research this week I was surprised to see so many photographs of Grieg that were published as postcards.

Alex Daw said...

My father and step mother took me to a concert a couple of years ago where this piece of music featured. I was completely petrified. It was so scary - particularly the climax. Amazing stuff.

ScotSue said...

That's a stunning first photograph. I like Greig's music but knew little about him, so thank you for filling me in.

Talking of dogs, I see that is your theme for the A-Z challenge.
Feel free to use my photographs of cocker spaniels at http://scotsue-familyhistoryfun.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/pets-on-parade-sepia-saturday.html I have plenty of other shots too.

Bob Scotney said...

ScotSue - thanks for the offer of photographs, I'll take a look at your link. Cockers seem to be a very popular dog locally however.

DougVernX said...

It's nice when you can add a personal touch to a Sepia Saturday prompt. Thanks for the journey ending with a very recognizable tune! :)

Anonymous said...

The mountain must have quite an imposing presence in the city. Nice to have thos personal memories.

Boobook said...

I like the way you've tied it all together this week Bob.