Pages

Saturday 27 April 2013

A-Z Challenge 2013 - 'X' - Xanthoceras



My A-Z posts this year are based on my garden – flowers, animals, the birds and the bees, butterflies - with a bit of poetry thrown in. For some letters I am expecting to cheat somewhat –wishing they were here.

X –.Xanthoceras, Xanthorhiza, Xantus’s Hummingbird.

You have probably guessed already that I have had to cheat or be marked with a rather large X.

Xanthoceras sorbifolium
This beautiful shrub, appropriately photographed in April (2009), was in the Botanical Garden of the University of Vienna and is also known as Yellowhorn. Anyone would want it in their garden not just me.

Xanthorhiza simplicissima (Yellow Root)
Yellow Root which has yellow flowers in Spring is rare in British gardens but I understand it may be seen at Westonbirt Arboretum, near Tetbury, Gloucestershire.

For several years I have been trying to photograph hummingbirds at my daughter’s home in Michigan, I haven’t succeeded yet so I was delighted to find one that begins with ‘X’

Xantus's Hummingbird - Baja, Mexico
Xantus’s Hummingbird is predominately green on its upperparts and back; its straight tail is darkly coloured and it has a white eye stripe.

I couldn't find a poem that related to the photos but I did find this, an Alphabet poem for the letter 'X'
X was once a great king Xerxes,
Xerxy
Perxy
Turxy
Xerxy
Linxy Lurxy
Great King Xerxes!

Poem:
  • Alphabet Poem; Letter 'X' - Edward Lear.  
Photos:
  • Xanthoceras sorbifolium –Athenchen – CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Xanthorhiza simplicissima – TheAlphaWolf – CC BY-SA 3.0
  • Xantus’s hummingbird – marlin harms – CC BY-SA 2.0

3 comments:

Francene Stanley said...

Double snap with the cheating. There aren't many plants starting with X. Thanks for visiting.

Jo said...

X is proving a difficult letter all round, I guess I had it easy.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

Kern Windwraith said...

Beautiful photographs--I especially love the Xantus's hummingbird. And that poem is delightful!