Pages

Tuesday 31 July 2012

Cloudy - Thematic Photographic

Except for late evening skies I don't think I've ever set out to photograph clouds and the effects they create. However I find I have lots of photos where the clouds have made a contribution to the success of the resulting shot.

Clouds over Mawgan Porth Beach, Cornwall 2011
Mawgan Porth
Closer to home this shot of Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge was taken from the RSPB's Saltholme nature reserve.
Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge 2009
While on the subject of birds here's one I caught on the wing.

Turkey Buzzard - Michigan 2009
The clouds also make an effective background in the shot of a UK fire brigade practising with an extending ladder.

Fire practice - Simon Snorkel ladder
To see other cloudy shots please drop in at Carmi's thematic-photographic-206

Edited Mawgan Porth

Following Paul's comment I have 'converted' one of the beach shot's to B&W

 

15 comments:

Jo said...

Your'e right, you got some good cloud shots there. Particularly like the last one with the snorkel ladder. I love watching clouds.

Author R. Mac Wheeler said...

I love clouds

...and critters

FilipBlog said...

Very special bridge.

Greetings,
Filip

Patti said...

Love the texture in the first two. :)

21 Wits said...

Clouds are a favorite of mine too, no matter what season, or place of the world they are floating overhead...you caught some awesome clouds, not even trying to!

Max Sartin said...

Mawgan Porth Beach looks beautiful, with the cliffs and clouds in the background. Great pictures.

Marc Latham said...

I prefer clear skies, but clouds are cool, and can provide great shapes and colours.

Very cloudy skies can be the most dramatic, as used by Romantics etc.

They are also one-half of the Greenygrey of course.

Gilly said...

Love the transporter Bridge - and the beach looks gorgeous. You can tell its not this year's summer!

Unknown said...

I love skies Bob especially when they have thick clouds in them. Have you ever thought of playing around with b&w? It can create very dramatic skies. Your image of Mawgan Porth would look great.

carmilevy said...

Coolest. Bridge. Ever!

You've inspired me to seek out photos where the clouds complement the landscape. You're so right: sometimes, they add a certain something to a scene. Thanks Bob...you always make me think!

Little Nell said...

You're so right, clouds add so much to the atmosphere of the shot, be they your focus or not.

Kranky Granny said...

Wow! You have me drooling. I love visiting the beach and yours are so amazing.

Best beach shots I've seen in ages.

Thanks for visiting my clounds over the lake.

Alexia said...

I would love to be walking on Magwan Porth beach, watching those beautiful skies. And the bridge shot is a winner!

ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© said...

That's a nice transformation of that beach...I'll have to try something like that.
~

larkswing said...

Lovely sky pictures,and the black and white one turned out great!