Pages

Friday 11 November 2011

Sepia Saturday 100 Not Out!



Sepia Saturday began for me exactly a year ago. It all began with Amy  here

Amy
As I had very few sepia photos it wasn’t long before I became a ‘themer’ and a lot of fun I’ve had along the way to SS 100.

‘100’ has not been as easy as I thought it would be. I’ve almost had a writer’s block. Then I remember that in 2008 to overcome this affliction I joined a site www.100words.com on which the challenge was to write a post each day of the month in exactly 100 words – no more, no less.

To my surprise my entry for 16 June was featured on the site.

June 16, 2008
BY Samwin
I sat in the garden this afternoon watching the sprinkler going round and round. A buzzing sound caught my attention; it sounded like a bee. Finally I located the bee on the small pink lavender bush set this year in a terracotta pot on the patio. Some of the lavender’s forty flower heads are fully open revealing the petals, on others only tips of the unopened petals may be seen. The bee visited each in turn, its golden thorax contrasting with the pink flowers. On each back leg it had an orange pod, full of the nectar it had collected.

Samwin you’ve seen before; named after Sam my daughter’s Golden Labrador, Samin is the headcover for my driver (golf club)
Samwin
Many of you are into tracing your family tree so I thought I’d make a start with the 1911 census of England. I had to cheat a big and go to the previous census in1901 to find the family of my grandfather and grandmother. George Arthur Scotney (29), Saddler and Harness Maker and his wife Sarah (32) had three sons – Henry C S (5), Charles W A (3) [My father] and Douglas L P (1) – at that time. I have never heard of Douglas before but I do know that later there were two other sons and two daughters(the uncles and aunts that I knew in addition to Henry, known to me as Stan)

Unfortunately I have no photos of any of them. But now I know that my elder brother was named after our grandfather.
George Arthur Scotney
You have seen a read about Arthur before in Sepia Saturday Posts My Brother's War.and War Photos

The census results confirmed to me that my grandparents were living at High Street, Ketton.

It so happens that on 6 June 2008 I wrote on the 100words.com site

“I was born in a house made of stone, with a roof of Collyweston slate. The house had no name although it was eventually given the number 100 on the High Street in a village in Rutland. Rutland was the smallest of the counties in England at that time.
The village school, for children up to age 11, was just across the road. A village shop was a short distance up the road. When my brother went to war I had pennies with which to buy a gobstopper each day. He had gone to stick a bayonet up Hitler’s backside.”
High Street,Ketton
The postal address for this house where I was born is 100 High Street. The people who live there now have put up a name plate and called it Sadler's Cottage so my grandfather's trade is commemorated.
Stocks Hill, High Street, Ketton
The shop to the left of the car is where I bought the gobstoppers with the money left for me by my brother. The monument in the centre was erected to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897.

Sepia Saturday was launched by Alan Burnett and Kat Mortensen in 2009, Sepia Saturday provides bloggers with an opportunity to share their history through the medium of photographs. Historical photographs of any age or kind (they don't have to be sepia) become the launchpad for explorations of family history, local history and social history in fact or fiction, poetry or prose, words or further images.
.
It has reached the grand old 'age' of 100. My thanks to Alan and Kat for their marvellous idea to which I am proud to contribute. Here's to the next 100.

Check out other contibutions to SS100 here. 

26 comments:

Postcardy said...

The postal address for the house where you were born is right on theme!

Unknown said...

A good array for SS 100th. I cannot recall my first post here, will have to look back. I like Queen Victoria's marker, that would add to my rose garden certainly!. And the 100 words blog sound interesting.

North County Film Club said...

It's so appropos that the address of your house is 100. Such a cute house too. Just the perfect house to be featured in this post.
Nancy Javier

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Bob .. I love reading the history .. and seeing the village as it is today - it does appear to be hardly changed.

Family history and genealogy with pictures to back up the story bring back so much to life as I remember a little ..

Congratulations for Sepia Saturday's 100th post ... Hilary

tony said...

Happy Blogday Bob !

Rosie said...

Great post Bob, delving into the past is an enjoyable pastime.

Alan Burnett said...

As inventive as ever in your interpretation of the theme and your wonderful connections. I remember that first Sepia Saturday post of yours well : I always look forward to your post and during the year you have been contributing to Sepia Saturday I have never once been disappointed.

Kristin said...

Quite an eclectic collection of 1911 and 100 posts! The 100 words does sound interesting and challenging.

Little Nell said...

A house with the number 100 and a hundred words to write about it. Very clever take. here’s to many more of your posts (oh and btw I’ve never been to Ketton so that’s another one to cross of our stalking list!).

21 Wits said...

Wow, amazing the house you born in, besides such a clever number, it's so charming! Your 100 post tribute is superb! But most of all I am excited to say through this wonderful blog Sepia Saturday, I have gotten to meet you and we can share together in other fun blogs as well as just blogging here on a daily basis! So happy to know you!

Unknown said...

It's beeing fun to read through the post for SS100 and seeing how each has come up with a way to use it on there blog. Your home with the address of 100 is one of my favorites...so charming and so fitting to the theme. Great Job

Unknown said...

I just love the way you construct your pieces for Sepia Saturday, I find them to be a lesson.

That is the Beauty of Sepia Saturday, it has created the perfect vehicle for the exchange of the idea weird and wonderful. It is a fertiliser of imagination.

mary said...

The picture of your mother in law is lovely! The collection of 100s is great. I particularly enjoy the address of 100 High Street. The house has charm and character!

Christine H. said...

George Arthur was such a handsome and likeable looking fellow. And the house he lived in on High Street is like something out of a fairytale.

Kristin said...

I do like the house number 100 and describing it in 100 words for the 100 Sepia Saturday.

Martin said...

Love the way you've connected the detail in this post, for a special Sepia Saturday.

Jinksy said...

You certainly found a unique link there! :)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

How great that you could use your family home for this post!

Anonymous said...

You managed several angles to "100" and I love the photos of your old house and the village. Very picturesque. Jo

Oregon Gifts of Comfort and Joy said...

Bob, your posts are so fun and so interesting. One thing leads to another, blending it all together. I enjoyed seeing the house where you lived and your peeps!

Thanks so much, and happy 100th!

Kathy M.

Janice said...

Wonderful...I love how you put this together.

H said...

How brilliant that the current owners have called the house 'Saddler's cottage' after your grandfather's trade. It preserves the history of the place so well.

North County Film Club said...

How perfect! And I love the house and your other photos.
I'd love to visit Ketton.
Barbara

Nancy said...

Bob, I loved this post. The house where you were born is charming with its blue door and vines around the window. It must be very satisfying to live in a country that preserves old buildings. I see it in the row of buildings where you bought candy. I hope your brother returned safely from the war.

Bruno Laliberté said...

100 High Street, Rutland.
Nice touch!!
:)~
HUGZ

L. D. said...

A great posting even if it took a while to get started. Enjoyed it all and the pictures are great.